Sunday, March 11, 2007

Ain't no driers in this town.
This is how you dry your clothes around here. I hire a woman, Manang Christine, to wash my clothes by hand. She takes several large tubs and sits by a faucet and washes them by hand with Tide powder. It takes her about two to three hours and costs me about 150 Pesos, or 3USD. They smell incredible and they're pretty darn clean when she's done.

Then I hang them. The only problem is that all many of my cotton clothes are a size larger now because I'm used to shrinking them with the drier. My jeans sag off my hips, my shirts are loose and baggy. I really wish someone would come in here and open up a clothes drier business. They'd make a ton of money, they'd preserve clothes that normally break down in the sun, and when Banaue's cold and overcast (which it often is) it'd replace the line drying method and stop mildew from growing in the fabric.

Any entrepreneurs out there interested?

The neighbors dry their clothes anywhere they can--hope a sock doesn't fall...

No comments: